Monday, September 24, 2012

Toyota's A3s


Toyota's A3s is a tool that company mangers use to not only countermeasure (not just develop solutions to problems), but also to share a deeper method of thinking. As I mentioned, this tool is not just a problem solver, it's a tool that analyzes a situation from start to finish, and provokes thought for the future.

An A3 consists of seven steps that each has their own box. The steps are below:

1. Establish the business context and importance of a specific problem or issue

2. Describe the current conditions of the problem

3. Identify the desired outcome

4. Analyze the situation to establish causality

5. Propose countermeasures

6. Prescribe an action plan for getting it done

7. Map out the follow-up process

This tool allows workers to learn by experience (through mistakes), and teaches the author how to analyze a situation to develop a countermeasure. A3 uses the term "countermeasure" instead of "solution" because countermeasure refers to the way that proposed actions are addressed to the issue, where as a solutions can create new problems. The point is that once a countermeasure is in place, it will create a new situation, which has its own set of problems which requires their own countermeasures. I think this is a key tactic that separates the A3 tool from other problem solving tools. It recognizes that no solution is perfect and helps the author identify the other problems that may arise, and how to actively address them.

Not only are Toyota managers using this tool, but I think I will use it daily at work. So many times I get caught up finding a problem and then thinking "now what". As an engineer was I want to just fix it, but I need to be careful at times because if I rush into something too quickly, I'm bound to find mistakes; if I take too long to analyze a situation, then I'm just wasting time. I frequently place myself into the "analysis paralysis" category, so this would be an efficient way to "countermeasure" any issues that I may face.

2 comments:

  1. Jacqueline,

    Great observation about how a countermeasure is a response that will likely require a response too. This seems parallel to the "pivot" mindset, where you try something, learn and then respond. I think the main thing is continuous improvement and to keep moving. In the culture I work in, a failure is extremely negative, and this is why so many people don't want to do something without analyzing it to the nth degree. If we embraced this methodology, perhaps we would experiment more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanine,

    I think it’s great that you related pivoting to countermeasuring. I didn't really think of it that way, but now that you mention it, pivoting really is similar to countermeasuring. When a company decides to pivot, this doesn't eliminate their current problems, as pivoting to a new position will only come with a new (maybe some existing) set of issues.

    Honestly - this kind of reminds me of dating!haha : ) I am married now, but while I was dating, I came to realize that no relationship is going to be perfect. Every relationship is going to have its own set of issues; we just had to choose which ones we wanted to deal with.

    ReplyDelete